I will get back to writing real posts when I've found something to write about.
A Letter to the Media (Summer 07)
You tell me
I am what I want to be
And then you give me
A set of rules and expectations
Then you tell me
To "let my soul fly free"
While you tie me down
With your gross generalizations
You say you're accepting
That your arms are as open as your ears
And then you envelope me in
cool boyz
kissin' girls
all as corseted as Queen Elizabeth's court
by your "bygone" boundaries of
race, wealth, and the gods you tell me don't exist.
So let me tell you something.
I don’t need you
I need truth
Without your Cheshire Cat hypocrisy
I am what I want to be
And then you give me
A set of rules and expectations
Then you tell me
To "let my soul fly free"
While you tie me down
With your gross generalizations
You say you're accepting
That your arms are as open as your ears
And then you envelope me in
cool boyz
kissin' girls
all as corseted as Queen Elizabeth's court
by your "bygone" boundaries of
race, wealth, and the gods you tell me don't exist.
So let me tell you something.
I don’t need you
I need truth
Without your Cheshire Cat hypocrisy
No Smiles on Sundays (today)
I do not smile
Not because I am unhappy.
If you look
You can see the glints and gleams
That stir somewhere between my soul
And my retina.
I do not smile
Not because I am troubled.
The curve of my spine
Is not the curve of a girl
Who has ever had to bear.
I do not smile
Not because I am ugly.
I can assure you that my mouth
Is no gaping maw of rot.
I brush diligently.
No, I do not smile
Not because I am ashamed, abused, or abandoned.
I do not smile
Not because I do not want to.
I do not smile
Because I am waiting
Simply
For someone to ask me to.
Not because I am unhappy.
If you look
You can see the glints and gleams
That stir somewhere between my soul
And my retina.
I do not smile
Not because I am troubled.
The curve of my spine
Is not the curve of a girl
Who has ever had to bear.
I do not smile
Not because I am ugly.
I can assure you that my mouth
Is no gaping maw of rot.
I brush diligently.
No, I do not smile
Not because I am ashamed, abused, or abandoned.
I do not smile
Not because I do not want to.
I do not smile
Because I am waiting
Simply
For someone to ask me to.

No comments:
Post a Comment