So I've been going a little heavy on societal issues lately, and I thought I'd switch it up this time and do something a little less...I don't know....melodramatic?
I was just thinking about this the other day. Heaven, as we typically envision it, is actually very similar to the ideal communist society.
The Dictionary.com definition of communism is:
1) a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.
2) a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.
Referring to #1, in Heaven, everybody is selfless, or else they wouldn't be there, so they definitely share everything. As for #2, it's pretty safe to say that God is not going to give up his seat on the throne of Heaven to some bozo, so God's the only political party in Heaven. He/she is also the greatest totalitarian leader in the history of human existence. Just listen to Psalm 139:
"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.... Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there."
Yup, God knows EVERYTHING about you. He always knows where you are, what you're thinking. That's pretty totalitarian.
The other tenet of communism that dictionary.com doesn't mention is the overall idea of equality, and in Heaven, it's safe to say that all are equal except God (and Jesus/Mohamed or whoever you believe in).
Heaven definitely qualifies as a communist society, which brings me to another point.
Why is it that some of the most religious nations in the world really, really hate communism, since communism actually embodies their idea of paradise?
Similarly, why does communism historically hate religion? Wouldn't it be to their advantage to say that they were building Heaven on Earth? Communism could be so much more successful if they would use the church as a basis for their government.
Anyways, just a little something to chew on. If I ever become a communist totalitarian dictator, I will totally use the whole heaven angle for my benefit. ;)
Note: I do not mean to offend or make light of religious matters. I am religious, but I like to think that God has a sense of humor. If he didn't, I wouldn't be alive....
The Great Experiment
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment