The Great Experiment

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My fit of activism

In a celebratory mood, I decided to look up the names of various racial groups on the internet.
I googled Asian, Hispanic/Latino, and African American. I found that African American had the highest number of matches, followed by Asian, and then Hispanic/Latino (I googled both and added the results together).

I was feeling in an activist sort of mood, so I also googled Asian American stereotypes, Hispanic stereotypes, and African American stereotypes. The rank of hits per racial group was the same as it was before.

I find it interesting that Hispanics have the lowest number of hits despite the fact that they are soon going to be the largest minority group in the U.S. Also, I found that it was surprisingly hard to find good information on Asian-American stereotypes, despite the fact that they are extremely prevalent in the media. On a whim, I searched Asian on blogspot--apparently the top-ranked blog with the word Asian in it is about Asian sex, while the second ranked blog is about Asian Sirens (I clicked, it was basically porn)


Just a few findings to make your day better.

No comments: